Music is just one of those things that gets me motivated when I’m working out. I can be slogging it out on a training ride and if the right song comes on, it’s like a much needed burst of energy that always takes me by surprise. In our training, but especially while we are riding in Uganda, I know there will SO SO many times that I want to quit, or rest, or stop, or give up. At those times, I am counting on my Uganda 2019 playlist to get me through. I have started putting it together and I would love for you to comment with a song you would like me to add and I promise to do so and to think of you when it comes up. Here are some songs I have put together so far and a little explanation as to why:
- Everglow by Coldplay: This song reminds me so much of my sweet dad who passed away in 2010. I am much like him in so many ways and he was always my biggest cheerleader. I know he would be proud of us. Dad, “I know that you’re with me and the way you will show / And you’re with me wherever I go / And you give me this feeling, this everglow / What I wouldn’t give for just a moment to hold / Because, I live for this feeling, this everglow.” I get a lot of strength from his blood in my veins.
- Better Days by Hedley (excuse the teeny weeny bit of language, Mom): Hopefully this one will not be literal as it talks about burning up with a fever. Ha! Not only does this song remind me to endure, but hopefully there will be better days for the kids of Kassanda Children’s Aid as well.
- Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie: I will be under literal pressure. I will have never biked this far for this long before…ever. But “love dares you to care for the people on the…edge of the night and love…dares you to change our way of caring about ourselves.”
- Go Solo by Tom Rosenthal: This – “And I’m happy, nothing’s going to stop me. I’m making my way home. I’m making my way.” Very thankful that I don’t have to ‘go solo.’
- Just Say Yes by the Cure: These lyrics are gold – surely a good life philosophy: “Don’t be cautious / Don’t think twice / This is it / Don’t play it safe / Don’t put it on ice …Don’t chew it over / No don’t kick it around / This is it / Don’t wait and see / Don’t try to work it out / Just say yes! Do it now! / Let yourself go! / Just leap! Don’t look! / Or you’ll never know…If you love it / You might really love it…”
- Whatever Comes by Rend Collective: He is my strength, my shield…my ever present help in trouble.
- Whatever It Takes by Imagine Dragons: Just read the lyrics – you’ll get it. Wow – yes.
- Hopeless Wanderer by Mumford & Sons: “I will learn to love the skies I’m under.”
- I’m On My Way by The Proclaimers: I sing this song SOOO loudly when I’m in my car alone….like a total weirdo. “I’m on my way from misery to happiness today…I’m on my way to what I want from this world / And years from now you’ll make it to the next world / And everything that you receive up yonder / Is what you gave to me the day I wandered.” And I know there will be times over there when I feel like “I’m sittin’ on top of the world!”
Other songs that have made the cut and the reason is in each title:
- Stayin’ Alive by The Bee Gees
- Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way by U2
- I’m So Free by Beck
- Life’s What You Make It by The New Electric
- Trouble by Cat Stevens
- Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay
- Living In the Moment by Jason Mraz